Goodbye 2021

Written By: Kristen MacKenzie 
Copyright January 2022

Each new year begins with the hope and promise of being better than the last. Traditionally, December 31st and January 1st mark the official celebration of the passing of one year, while we look forward to a new year ahead. For some, January 1st allows a time of reflection & renewal. A moment to pause to remember the blessings in our lives and a chance to recommit ourselves to our resolutions. As 2020 socially isolated us, 2021 remained hopeful for many including myself. After enduring the impacts of closures, limited mobility and seclusion, the bleak new reality of what we all experienced together left many uneasey. Not since the 1918 Spanish Influenza has the world experienced the loss of so much life, than those from COVID 19. Luckily in 2021, a light at the end of a very dark tunnel was revealed. Beginning with the Astrazeneca vaccine, quickly followed up by Moderna, Pfizer and lastly, Johnson & Johnson. That beacon of hope however, would be challenged by conspiracy theorists and propaganda campaigns. Spreading false information, placing more lives at greater risk than those ready to roll up their sleeves. With some media outlets playing a heavy role in keeping fears alive, anti-vaccination groups capitalised on those anxieties. Protesting against vaccine mandates on the basis of religious, philosophical or moral beliefs. And though we are not out of the woods yet, everyone came together in a time of crisis. Just like we have done in the past and will again, in the future. Throughout 2020 & parts of 2021, many found themselves furloughed from work; not knowing when they would be allowed to return. Bringing with it, concerns over the outcome of financial futures. Meanwhile during those same furlough’s, frustrated employees would participate in what quickly became known as: “The Great Resignation”. I myself added my own voice to such a chorus. After 2.9 years of service, in July 2021 I made the official decision to leave my position as a brand ambassador. Having amassed a working total of 790.6 hours between 2018 - 2021. Sadly, the company I previously worked for decided to relieve me of my employment contract much earlier than expected. With my official departure on Friday July 23, 2021. Luckily in September 2021, I was hired as a Fashion Retail Associate. Earning more hours and experience than my previous position.

In 2021, I was also reminded of the promise I made to myself, after removing certain associations from my life in 2016. As some of you who’ve paid attention to my Twitter page, I succumbed to an online conflict with an aforementioned individual, previously mentioned in my last blog post. Since then, this former online-only acquaintance appears to have veered her preoccupation with rock stars and other celebrities into an unhealthy obsession with me. Fixating on malicious fabrication and dishonesty. In my previous post, I stated my decision was to disregard such behaviour and move forward; as my objectives for 2022 and thus my own future remain my top priority. However, this former online-only acquaintance has since slandered my name in her posts, defaming my character in a desperate bid for attention. In December I reported her to Twitter support, shortly after leaving for a period of time in order to focus on my professional life and the Christmas holidays. Along with restructuring how I interact with social media. While I would like to detach myself from this issue, I feel more legal efforts may have to be considered if her actions do not cease. As a Canadian citizen however, my dilemma in pursuing any lawful remedies is arduous, as the individual I’m finding myself harassed by lives in another country and also has access to 2 social media accounts; both on different platforms. Unless Twitter and other platforms work harder to change their rules on online provocations then victims such as myself will continue to experience menacing attacks. As we move into a new year, let us encourage each other to be kind to one another. Let us also take comfort in humanity’s perseverance for truth. After all, 2021 was another difficult year. 2022 marks a new beginning and though we must continue our fight against COVID 19, better days are ahead and we will reach them together. From my family to yours, I want to wish everyone a very happy and safe New Year.


Sources, MLA’s and Thank You’s:

History, “Spanish Flu - Symptoms, How it Began & Ended” History.com June 2, 2021 WEB. December 17, 2021 < https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic >

McGregor, Jenna : “2021 Brought Us ‘The Great Resignation’. No One Can Agree What To Call It” Forbes.com December 14, 2021 WEB. December 17, 2021 < https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenamcgregor/2021/12/14/2021-brought-us-the-great-resignation-no-one-can-agree-what-to-call-it/?sh=5c21be52509c

Ullah I., Khan K.S., Tahir, M.J., Ahmed A., Harapan H., “Myths and Conspiracy Theories on Vaccines and COVID 19: Potential Effect on Global Vaccine Refusals” ScienceDirect.com May-August 2021 WEB. December 17, 2021 < https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1576988721000108 >

Author Unknown, “History of Anti-Vaccination Movements” HistoryofVaccines.org January 10, 2018 WEB. December 17, 2021 < https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-anti-vaccination-movements >

MacKenzie, Kristen. “Toxic Fandoms” Social Media and Why it’s Difficult To Be a Fan Today”. Blogger. December 1, 2021 WEB. December 26, 2021 < https://thekmackenzieofficial.blogspot.com/2021/12/toxic-fandoms-social-media-and-why-its.html >

YouTube.com “Auld Lang Syne” The Choral Scholars of University College Dublin. November 27, 2020 WEB. December 26, 2021 < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6Vs8pADrQ >

Comments